Household Hazardous Waste & Pesticide Collection
2017 Household Hazardous Waste Events:
- Thursday May 11 - 1 pm - 7 pm
- Thursday June 22 - 1 pm - 7 pm
- Thursday August 10 - 1 pm - 7 pm
- Saturday October 14 - 9 am - 2 pm
- Appointments can be made online by clicking here or by calling the RecycleSmart Hotline 231-941-5555.
- Grand Traverse County residents may dispose of 150 pounds of hazardous materials at no charge. A $1.30/pound fee will be charged for quantities greater than 150 pounds.
Download our Household Paint Disposal Guide
Download our Household Hazardous Waste GuideHazardous Waste from a Business, Organization, School, etc. (Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators - CESQG)
- Appointments are REQUIRED for All non-residential participants (businesses, organizations, schools, etc.)
- Schedule appointments by TELEPHONE ONLY. Call the RecycleSmart hotline at 231-941-5555. Do not use the online appointment system.
- Submit a 2017 CESQG Registration and Certification Form (once per calendar year; 5 days prior to your first event)
- Submit a Hazardous Materials Inventory Form (5 days prior to each event attending)
- There is a $1.30/pound fee for quantities of hazardous waste greater than 150 pounds.
- Less than 220 pounds (or about 25 gallons) of hazardous waste is generated in a given calendar month AND
- Accumulated material never exceeds 2,000 pounds at any given time.
- United States EPA Hazardous Waste Generators
Michigan Clean Sweep Program (Pesticides)
The Michigan Clean Sweep Program helps protect the State's natural resources and prevent agriculture pollution by ensuring the safe and proper disposal of outdated, unused or unwanted pesticides in Michigan.
Grand Traverse County participates in the Clean Sweep Program and accepts pesticide products from all Michigan residents, agri-businesses, and farms without fee.
Clean Sweep is made possible by a strong and unique local, state, federal and industry relationship.
Take It Back Recycling Directory
Go to the Take It Back Recycling Directory webpage for additional recycling location options and further information.