New CPL Application
Application for a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) may be obtained in person from your County Clerk's Office, or online. For additional information please see the Michigan State Police website.
The applicant must be:
- At least 21 years of age
- A Citizen of the United States or an alien lawfully admitted into the United States
- A resident of the State of Michigan for at least 6 months prior to application submission.
Michigan Firearms Laws
Individuals may view a complete copy of the firearms laws of the State of Michigan on the Michigan Legislature's website.
Training Certificate issued on or after December 1, 2015. The certificate must have everything listed below or it will be rejected:
- Name of applicant
- Date of class (must be within 5 years)
- Instructor’s name, Telephone number, Certification number, if any, Signature, Expiration date of the certification of this instructor.
- Name and telephone number of the state agency or a state/national firearms training organization that has certified the individual as an instructor.
- The statement “This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372”
Training Certificate issued prior to December 1, 2015. The certificate must have everything listed below or it will be rejected:
- Name of Applicant
- Date of Class (must be within 5 years)
- Printed Name and Signature of Instructor
- The statement "This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372"
Filing an ApplicationThe completed application with a copy of the safety training certificate is filed with the County Clerk. Do not sign the application until directed by staff at the County Clerk's Office.
The application fee is $115.00 ($100.00 application fee and $15.00 fingerprint fee). Fee may be paid by cash, check, or money order.
The County Clerk's Office provides the Fingerprinting Services for Grand Traverse County Concealed Pistol License Applicants only. New Applicants can apply and be fingerprinted during the hours of 8:30 am to 11:30 am and 2:00 pm to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
Once applicant is fingerprinted, the fingerprints and application is submitted to the Michigan State Police for approval or denial. If the application is approved, the County Clerk's Office will issue the license. The license is required by law to be mailed to the applicant's mailing address. If the application is denied, the County Clerk's Office will mail a letter indicating the statutory reason for denial.
License Expiration Dates
A license issued on/after July 1, 2006, is valid until applicant’s birth date “that falls not less than 4 years or more than 5 years after the license is issued”.